Quick Links

Quick Links


At St Edward’s we take safeguarding seriously.

The safeguarding of children is everyone’s business and schools have a responsibility to ensure that they promote the safety and welfare of children.

Our Safeguarding Team are:


If you have concerns about the safety or wellbeing of any child, please speak immediately to a member of the Safeguarding team. Any discussions will be treated in confidence; however, referrals to relevant agencies will be made if there is a need to safeguard an individual or individuals. 

Safeguarding in our Curriculum

At St Edward's Primary School we actively teach the children about safeguarding and personal safety. This takes many different forms, for example:

  • Cycling proficiency
  • Safe travel on public transport
  • The development of healthy minds
  • How to be safe on line
  • Stanger Danger (Including 2 Johns workshops)
  • Fire and water safety

In the Early Years Foundation Stage (Nursery and Reception) we teach the children such this as personal hygiene, how to be safe in the sun and near water. We also work continually with the children to ensure that equipment they have access to is used carefully and safely.

Throughout Year 1 the children are taught such things as being safe when crossing roads (including on their Geography 'local area' visit), we develop their awareness of ‘stranger danger’, how to be safe when near and in the sea, safety in the community and safety in the home.

 In Year 2 we work with the children to develop their understanding of such things as online safety, the safety requirements when going on school trips. They also develop children’s understanding of the ‘Underwear Rule’ using the NSPCC Pants Resources. The police also come into school to work with the children.

During their time in Key Stage 1 (Years 1 & 2) all children will enjoy a Road Safety Workshop and will have a visit from members of the Emergency Services. 

During Year 3 the children are taught about safeguarding and safety through such things as fire safety, basic first aid and when, why and how they would call 999. They are also taught about how to talk to different people, safety in the playground and about managing risks in the environment. During Year 3, children complete their first visit into London using the London Underground. Children are taught about using public transport safely. 

Year 4 spend time during the year learning about such things as friendships, peer pressure and online bullying. Along with this, they develop their understanding of road safety and how to be safe when taking the bus as well as learning about having healthy minds and mental health.

 As part of their learning in Year 5 the children learn about personal safety and safeguarding through such things as making positive choices and the impact of not making the right choices as you get older. They also spend time thinking about the effects of peer pressure, online safety particularly linked to mobile safety and safe travel on public transport. From the Summer Term in Year 5, children are given the option to walk home alone. We ensure we support children at this time to understand how to do this safely. 

Throughout Year 6, the children learn such things as the impact of air pollution on themselves and the environment, how to be safe on a beach and more complex road safety. They learn about relationships and how to be safe, along with gangs and gang culture and how this can impact on their safety. Time is spent preparing the children for secondary school and how to be safe whilst there as well as safe travel. This includes taking part in the Havering Local Authority 'Junior Citizen' event. 

The above descriptions for each year group and by no means exhaustive and the curriculum builds year on year. We use a range of teaching techniques form class teacher input, workshops and visitors into school and trips out. Alongside the curriculum all classes have worries boxes where children can place their worries and staff respond accordingly to these.

Our curriculum and particularly our PSHE (including RSHE) curriculum ensures that the children are taught how to react to and deal with different situations and thus keep themselves safe. As well as  this we work to develop children’s self-esteem and self-worth.

As a school, we work continually to equip the children with the skills they need to be safe for life in modern Britain. We teach them to value democracy and respect the rule of Law. We consider carefully how we ensure children understand the importance of protected characteristics through our curriculum and expose children to, and celebrate, children who may be different to themselves.

Under 18 Years Old?

CEOP helps any child or young person under the age of 18 who is being pressured, forced or tricked into taking part in sexual activity of any kind. This can be something that has taken place either online or in ‘the real world’, or both. The CEOP Safety Centre has clear information and advice on what can be reported to CEOP, the reporting process and what will happen if you do decide to make a report. You can visit the CEOP Safety Centre and make a report directly to CEOP by clicking the Click CEOP button below.


If you are experiencing online bullying or something else online has worried you please speak to an adult you trust, or you can talk to Childline at any time on 0800 1111 or at www.childline.org.uk.

An adult with concerns?

Call the NSPCC helpline: 0808 800 5000

If you're worried about a child, even if you're unsure, contact their professional counsellors 24/7 for help, advice and support.

Call NSPCC or email help@nspcc.org.uk.

NSPCC Online:  www.nspcc.org.uk

Preventing radicalisation (PREVENT)

If you have any concerns about a child, group of children or family who are vulnerable to radicalisation or violent extremism, you should speak immediately to the Head Teacher or a member of our safeguarding team.

Further information can be found at:  www.ltai.info/what-is-prevent


The Metropolitan Police Service have set up an advice webpage which gives lots of information and advice on what to do in situations where you may need help. This includes if you are experiencing anti-social behaviour, honour based violence, dangerous dogs, drugs and alcohol or hate crime. For more information, and advise, go to: https://safe.met.police.uk/

Childcare at other venues

If your child attends childcare or learning at another setting or venue, before school or after school, it is likely that this provider will need to be registered with Ofsted. This ensures that the service provided is safe, and that the adults working with your children are appropriate for that role. If you need any help, the school is willing to help check the Ofsted status of any provider your child attends. For help with this, do not hesitate to contact a member of the safeguarding team via. the School Office.

Our Key Policies around Safeguarding are available from our Policies Page